Sunday, September 19, 2010

Milkshakes, Hot Dogs & Pizza!

I know what you're thinking. You read the title of the post and thought... "WTF! I thought this was a healthy living blog." But, I always try to remember that being good to my body and living a balanced lifestyle means enjoying fun foods as long as I opt for a version that won't hurt the environment, other living creatures or my body : )




On Saturday, Pat and I went for a 7 mile hike and then enjoyed dinner and drinks with his aunt and uncle. It was a lovely day/evening but I unfortunately forgot to take pictures. It must have been the bear-like hunger we worked up around mile 5 that clouded my thoughts and made me forget to whip out the camera pre-meal. Apologies.






On Sunday, Pat and I had plans to go to a Mets game. One of my best friends when I was growing up currently works for the team and she offered to get us tickets. I was so excited to see the game and reconnect with an amazing friend. Anway, our impending trip to the stadium had Pat blabbering away about the Shake Shack we would be visiting. Although Citi Field did have tons of options for me, I figured there would probably not be a vegan choice at the Shack so I decided to take matters into my own hands. Thus, the breakfast milkshake was born.

Strawberry Breakfast Milkshake

1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup vanilla soy milk
1 scoop vanilla brown rice protien powder


When we arrived at Citi Field I immediately began searching for the Veggie Dogs I had read about. My friend Stephanie sent me a list of the vegetarian options at the stadium beforehand and this one had caught my eye ; )


When we found our seats, I chowed down. Our seats were so close to the field... Steph really hooked us up. I had to make sure I didn't get too into my hot dog or I could have easily been hit by one of the many foul balls that came our way during the course of the game.


After my Veggie Dog, Stephanie and her dad came over to sit with us for a few innings. It was great to catch up- we had not seen each other in over 10 years! I was so excited to see her that I forgot to snap a pic of the two of us to share with you all. I have really been slacking in that area lately...


The view from our seats : )





Pat chomping on his burger (not the veggie kind)




After the game, we stopped by a pizza place in the city that has many vegan options called The Perfect Slice. Their ingredients are all organic and the pizza is sooo good.

Patrick was so hungry that he got The Joey Special- TWO PIZZAS! I hope I have some fellow Friends addict readers who will understand that reference ; )


I had the Taste of India Personal Pizza on whole wheat which was topped with delicious channa masala and Daiya mozzarella.



The wall of the restaurant explains "The Perfect Food"



Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffin Cookie for dessert
An amazing mix of a muffin and a cookie- does it get any better??
Since going vegan, many people have said things to me like, I would love to try out your lifestyle but I couldn't live without insert favorite food here. I don't really know how to explain that going vegan does not mean you need to give up your favorite foods. In fact, it allows you to enjoy them more because you know that while you are eating something yummy you are also doing something good for yourself and others : )
Hmmm... perhaps that means I can have another chocolate chip cookie muffin???












No comments:

Post a Comment