Monday, September 20, 2010

Apples & Acorns

Maybe it was the brisk hike we took this weekend. Maybe it was the fact that I had to wear a sweater at work today and clutch my herbal tea cup all morning. Or maybe it was the fact that it is starting to be dark even when I get out of work early (grrrr- not happy about that one). Whatever it is, I am beginning to feel Fall in my bones : )


My body is definitely ready for the colder weather. I can tell because I have reeeeally been craving my favorite Fall foods lately.
This morning I started with an especially Fall-ish bowl of oatmeal.

Apple Cider Oats:

1/4 cup old fashioned oats

1/2 cup apple cider

1/2 chopped apple

1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

1 tablespoon almond butter

Cook all ingredients (except almond butter) in microwave or on the stovetop according to oat package directions. Top with almond butter!

During lunch today I had girl's group again and I got so caught up in conversation that I forgot to snap a picture. It was just leftover Corn Soup anyway. Boring but so yummy and hearty!

For dinner I had my eye on another Fall favorite that I recieved in my CSA delivery. ACORN SQUASH! My Aunt Barbara used to cook these for my family all the time and so the flavor brings to mind cozy home cooked dinners. Do you have any foods that bring to mind comforting memories of home??



The uncooked squash

Squash filling



Added greens


The squash "bowl"

Filled with vegetable soup and topped with crumbled corn bread





Loving the colors!
My other favorite Fall flavor is PUMPKIN so stay tuned for some pumpkin-y dishes!






1 comment: