Friday, September 17, 2010

Friday Night Comfort Food

Yesterday was the first weekday I did not post since Veggies & Beanz began and I missed you all! It is funny how much blogging has become a part of my daily routine. I knew I wouldn’t be able to post yesterday because we had back-to-school-night but it still felt a little strange to know that even though I ate a few fun meals, nobody would know about them. This anonymity may have resulted in me eating oatmeal with almond butter for both breakfast AND dinner. If a foodie eats oatmeal for dinner in her living room at 10pm while watching Jersey Shore reruns and nobody is around to witness it, does it still count? I think not…




Anyway, I thought I’d make up for my lack of posting yesterday by doing a pre-weekend feature! Gotta love Friday evening comfort food : )




My day began with a light breakfast (I was still kind of full from the 10pm oatmeal that never happened).


Coconut Yogurt and Diced Pears with Pumpkin Pie Spice

For a snack I had some yellow wax beans and PURPLE carrots. They are really only purple on the outside -a very pretty part of my CSA delivery!

For lunch I did some leftover spaghetti squash with marinara and kale. Delicious. The kids were eating french bread pizza in the cafeteria but my Italian meal seemed much more nutritious.
After school I took a few of my kids who earned perfect hw this week to get pedicures. It was such a fun treat. I chose OPI’s Purple with a Purpose. It seemed appropriate because I definitely had a purpose in mind for dinner…
Sweet Corn Chowder with Tempeh Bacon
(inspired by my Basis Food Delivery and Recipe Card)

3 tablespoons butter
5 ears of corn (kernels removed
2 shallots (minced)
2 cups water
2 cups soy milk
2 small Yukon Gold potatoes (diced)
1 tablespoon thyme

1. Melt butter. Add onions and cook until they soften and butter froths (about 5 minutes on medium heat)
2. Add water, milk and corn cobs.
3. Simmer 10 minutes. Add potatoes. Simmer an additional 10 minutes
4. Remove the cobs and discard. Add corn kernels and thyme.
5. Turn up the heat and bring to a boil then turn down heat and simmer for an additional 3-5 minutes.


Pat shucking the corn



Cornbread in the making : )


The soup simmering



Mmmmm... almost done


Tempeh bacon



Warm cornbread fresh from the oven


Ready for eating!


Inside the bowl

Dipping time!


Sooo good
I forgot how much a LOVE corn bread! It was a very warm and hearty Fall Friday meal. This weekend is supposed to be gorgeous so Pat and I are thinking of going hiking tomorrow. Off to rest up for the trails : )














No comments:

Post a Comment