Friday, September 24, 2010

$100,000,000

So one of the reasons I started this blog was because I wanted to maintain a sense of balance in my life and prioritize healthy living. I have a job that sometimes becomes more of an all consuming obsession than a job, but I know it is important to make time for hobbies and health : )


That being said, I have to mention something work related...


Today, we did not have students in school because we had a Professional Development Day scheduled. After a few sessions with all the teachers in the network, we watched excitedly as Mark Zuckerberg (founder of Facebook) announced on the Oprah show that he would be awarding Newark, New Jersey's school system with $100,000,000 dollars to support education reform efforts. I am so excited that national attention has been focused on improving education for the children of Newark and so many other children who are currently being CHEATED by a failing system.


Please read more about this and go see Waiting for Superman when it comes out. There is FINALLY an education revolution beginning in our country...


In the spirit of maintaining balance, here are some pictures of the food I ate today (no more work talk).


Strawberry-Banana-Mango Smoothie


Tomatillos from my CSA delivery (played a starring role in my lunch)


Aren't they pretty??

Banana Peppers (also a key part of my lunchtime salad)



Salad with beets, apples, tomatillos, banana peppers, kale, daikon radish, purple carrots and curried cashews
The beets made everything look kind of gross but it was really yummy : )





I met Allison for dinner at California Pizza Kitchen. The pizza and the conversation were the perfect way to start the weekend...

Allison and her buffalo chicken pizza


Roomies!


My Vegetarian Japanese Eggplant Pizza sans cheese
Tomorrow we are taking our students on a field trip so I will be waking up bright and early (I would give you some details but I promised no more work talk). Sweet dreams!








No comments:

Post a Comment