Sunday, August 1, 2010

Guilt Free in Hershey

Many people think that going vegan or eating more healthfully means giving up the things you enjoy. That is totally wrong! Trust me –I’m not one who does well with deprivation (as you could probably tell from my daily posted desserts). Ice cream? Carrot cake? Banana bread? Yes pleeeeease!

Rather veganism and eating clean is about indulging in moderation and making choices you never feel guilty about. This weekend was a perfect example of a little healthy indulgence…

Since my BRAT boy was feeling better today, we woke up early on Saturday to travel to HersheyPark in Pennsylvania (the BEST possible place for a little food indulgence!). Since we were on the road early we packed some peanut butter bagels and smoothies to go. We also stopped at Starbucks for some Beanz fuel (ice coffee w/ a splash of soy milk). After the caffeine and protein bagel… I was psyched to get to the chocolate and coasters!












I personally identified with the "Peanut Butter Lovers" part of this sign and asked Pat to snap a pic. Peanut butter is like my own personal form of crack. Sidenote...

On the morning of my wedding, my lip swelled up. Still not sure exactly what caused it and luckily it was gone by the time I walked down the aisle. However, there were a few brief moments when I was very upset because I thought I had developed an allergy to peanut butter (I had eaten it for breakfast that morning). My sister tried to console me by telling me that today was my wedding day and I was going to get to marry Patrick. My teary-eyed reply?

"You don't understand! I love peanut butter almost as much as I love Patrick."

I LOVE PEANUT BUTTER!




We packed a lunch for the park but the car was soooo far away from the entrance that we ended up grabbing some eats while we were there and saving the packed snacks for dinner. Lunch was 1/2 a vegan black bean burrito and some guac.


The amazing coffee mug I bought as a souvenir



The chocolate bar Patrick wanted to buy.



The one he actually got (hence the sad puppy face).



My yummy chocolate treat (organic Hershey’s extra dark, semisweet and bittersweet tasting squares)




Some healthy packed snacks on the way home



This morning was the perfect lazy Sunday. I did manage to cook some vegan French toast for breakfast though. I topped it off with some maple syrup mixed with melted peanut butter. Yum!









Later we met Patrick’s Grandma Mary for lunch at our favorite Chinese restaurant, Ling Lings. My tofu and baby bok choy were good but not as good as the company : )






For the past few days I have been feeling a little under the weather, I think allergies or an impending cold has been getting me down. When we returned home from lunch and some various errands I wasn’t feeling too hot so Patrick made me some veggie soup and vegan grilled cheese. Just what I needed…








Sadly, tomorrow marks my return to work. Don’t feel too bad for me though, the beginning of my school year involves a week of training at the KIPP Schools Summit in Las Vegas. So tomorrow I am flying across the country to Vegas Baby! I will be back on Friday. I am going to try to post from the hotel there but am not sure what my schedule/internet access will be like. If you don’t hear from me this week expect a mega-post next weekend. Wish me luck for my first days back at work (and for the slot machines of course…)


Before I sign off though I have a special treat for some good-looking young ladies who happen to be two of my favorite people. By request...


Kiirsten and Tia's Sweet Potato Fries:


2 raw sweet potatoes

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon sea salt


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.


2. Slice sweet potatoes into wedges (fyi this part sucks... raw potatoes take the strength of a body builder or an angry New Jersey Housewife to slice through).


3. Toss wedges in olive oil, salt and cumin.


4. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping 1/2 way through. If you like 'em crispy, leave them in an extra 5-10 minutes.


5. Enjoy with a friend : )






























8 comments:

  1. next week a recipe for beef burgundy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Reen, can't wait to try these sweet potato fries. I have been told mine come out soggy, I do 350 degrees not 400 so maybe this will help. I like the idea of cumin too, its my favorite spice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tia I have the same problem!!! Thanks BEANZ for posting this :) MISS YOU

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay beef burgundy! Perhaps it will be better with tofu??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you liked the recipe girls! Let me know how it turns out : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I discovered Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soooo amazing. Let the peanut butter love affair begin...

    Enjoy! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. the pictures of pat with the Hershey's bars... HILARIOUS im dying over here

    ReplyDelete