Friday, July 30, 2010

Summer Bliss

Do you remember what summer vacation was like when you were a kid? If you were anything like me, you woke up late, poured a big bowl of cereal (usually a mix of Cheerios and Mini-Wheats) and positioned yourself in front of some of Nickelodeon’s or The Disney Channel’s finest. After some time, you made it outside to do what kids do. Me, I was a bike rider and tree climber. Summer was the best.

As I have mentioned before, my summer vacation is quickly coming to an end. However, I cannot complain because I know I am lucky to have a job which allows me to hold on to this amazing part of childhood even as a working adult. Today was the adult version of a perfect summer vacation day.

Screw “trying to adjust to an earlier wake up time.” I have 3 more days to sleep in and so that is what I’m going to do. I slept till 9:30 today and then enjoyed a large bowl of banana oats.


Banana Oats:

1 cup oats
½ cup almond milk
1 small mashed banana
1 large scoop of peanut butter

Instead of Hey Arnold and Clarissa Explains It All, I enjoyed my oats while watching a DVR episode of The Real Housewives of New Jersey. I know… please don’t judge me.

Lunch was by far the best part of the day though. Patrick took a half day so he could enjoy part of my perfect summer vacation day with me. We finally got a chance to use the beautiful picnic basket my mother-in-law bought me for my bridal shower (see pics below). Thanks Debbie!! Although Patrick was a little perturbed that I asked him to carry the white, heart-shaped basket through the streets of Jersey City, the lunch I prepared quickly assuaged his anger.

Indian Summer Salad:


¼ cup slivered almonds
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup veganaise mayo
1 can chickpeas
1 tablespoon curry powder

We paired the chickpeas, with some fruit salad with “cream cheese” dressing and a green bean, zucchini crudite. The “cream cheese” dressing was really just leftover frosting from the carrot cake I made the other night, but doesn’t it sound so “Top Chef” when I say it like that?



After lunch, Patrick didn’t feel so great. I think he may actually have a kiwi allergy because this has happened several times after eating the delicious green fruit. I feel bad for him. Kiwis are my favorite! Anyway, after consulting WebMD, his dinner was prepared in accordance with the BRAT diet (bread, rice, applesauce and toast) while I enjoyed some leftover fettuccini alfredo combined with the leftover collard greens from a few nights back. Leftovers + melted vegan mozzarella = yummy in my tummy.

For dessert I made some pumpkin pie ice cream…. a sweet ending to my day of summer bliss : )














No comments:

Post a Comment